I suppose it wasn’t very fair of me to tell you about my curtains and then not show you. I’ve been blogging long enough to know that you’d request pictures. Rookie mistake.
The window in question is a large bay window over a window seat. The middle portion of the bay window is ginormous, the sides aren’t too big. This is what the window looks like with the curtains up and closed.
Not a big fan. It’s just a lot of green fabric hanging there. I do, however, like the way it looks with the curtains open.
Not so bad, eh? But the problem is this. We don’t want to have to keep the curtains open all the time. That defeats the purpose. We need curtains to keep the heat out and keep the sun’s glare off our television. So in order to make that happen, the curtains have to be closed and look blah.
My mom came over yesterday to paint and she played around with the curtains. Her thoughts were that there aren’t enough panels. If we add one more panel to each section (for a total of 4 more panels) it’ll lay nicer. So we pushed the curtains around to develop some thoughts and feelings about it.
The more fabric, the more folds. What do you think? I think it adds texture and looks nicer. The only problem is that the curtains are heavy and the curtain rod is sagging in the middle. We can’t attach a bracket because there is no wall there, only window. We thought we’d attach a bracket from the ceiling but we can’t do that because the rod is too high, and the bracket is too long. So I think Stephen is going to wander the aisles of Home Depot until he finds some sort of U bracket that’ll work.
Thoughts and feelings please.
Next up on the agenda is the nursery. I had originally planned to wait until the nursery was all done to show you pictures. But that’s just mean, right? I happened to be home yesterday due to some serious back spasms that literally left me crying in pain, so I snapped a few pictures of my mom and sister in progress.
My sister took on the green walls. She started with the edges and didn’t like the color (thankfully she waited until the room was done to tell me this). Once it was done, she liked it.
My mom took on the orange walls because she’s a trooper. She knew Lindsay couldn’t handle being trapped in a closet all day. I’m sure her body is hurting after all of the bending and stretching.
Here’s a reminder of the bedding we are using.
(I love looking at it, it’s just so cute!) The colors match almost exactly. Because the green is so light and the orange is so dark, they are in desperate need of a second coat of paint. My unpaid helpers will be back today to complete the job. This is what it looked like last night.
Apparently I don’t know how to take straight photos! This isn’t actually a Dr. Seuss room with crooked walls.
At night, the orange looks more red. During the day, it looks burnt orange. Stephen took the doors off the closet and we’ll be hanging long turquoise curtains instead.
It’s all coming together and looks fantastic. I get giddy when I think about moving the furniture in there. I think the only thing I still need to buy is a new sconce. My requirements are as follows: 1) Looks better than the one we have, 2) Is hard-wired (meaning not plugged in), and 3) Has an on/off switch. I have found this one and this one. (Those are links.) I’m leaning toward the first one. It’s cheaper, I can replace the shade if I want to, and the bronze matches the ceiling fan. As always, please share your thoughts and feelings.
It seems like with each facelift, more things are needed. More money is required, which makes me grumpy and stressed. We are trying to space out all of these “projects” so we don’t get ourselves in a money bind. Maybe I should just keep reminding myself that having a blog is free but hiring a decorator is very not free. So to all of you who share your opinions, thanks for saving me money!